Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Earth Day!

As much as I am enjoying my Spring Break and can NOT believe it is almost over, I am a little bummed that we aren't in school on Earth Day - our class always disucsses making good choices that help our classmates, families, communities and world and Earth Day is always a fun day to intentionally put some of those ideas into whole class action. 
Since I am not in school doing Earth friendly activities with my students I am doing some at home with my children.  We are going to create an intentional recycling space in our home that is kid friendly so Sean (7) and Zachary (5) can be a part of recycling in our home.  They are also using markers to block out our name/address on magazines and we will be donating them to the local hospital.
 For those of you who are interested in making your home more Earth friendly, here is a web site that motivates you to be green at home and in your classroom by earning points and rewards for the things you do:  Recycle Bank



When I was in 4th grade, my teacher had us reycle the paper in our classroom.  We would collect it then mix it with water, blend it together and press it into molds.  When the molds dried, we would trim the edges, paint/decorate and attach a clip or pin.  Our class would sell them and raise money for local charities.  This simple activity showed us that even as 4th graders we could make a difference.   
I love that 20 years later this activity is still touching my life. 
I have yet to translate this activity into something that fits into the first grade curriculum and schedule. 

Any ideas?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment